El Conejo / VCU Objects + Methods Lecture

Rabbit lecture, workshop, and exhibition.

el_conejo_malinoski_vcu_2010

Above: Event poster by John Malinoski, 2010. Photo: John Dixon, 1997. The rabbit lives! El Conejo, a conglomerate character that first rose back in 1997, the spirit of which still vibrates awkwardly here, and especially here. A special thanks to my
dear friend and mentor, John Malinoski, for making this poster.

I am humbled and delighted to announce that I have been invited back to my beloved Virginia Commonwealth University as part of the Objects+Methods Lecture series.
I am grateful that the visit will also include an exhibition of my work and a workshop with Rob Carter’s typography students. I am hopeful to see old friends and make new ones. A thousand thanks to my great friends and mentors, Mary McLaughlin and John Demao for their kind invitation. ¡Abrazos!

My friends and students from the past twelve years will remember how often I have talked about the pivotal time in my life when I was a MFA candidate at VCU. The song below, often played on Geotypografika to mark moments of special joy, was taught to me on the rocks of the James River, fishing with my great teacher, Akira Ouchi.

Honto ni, we were long compass and short compass, creating endlessly irregular pathways of searching and questions. We were together, in old school days,
and we, please believe me, sing this song still today.

Avanti popolo alla riscossa,
bandiera rossa, bandiera rossa!
Avanti popolo alla riscossa,
bandiera rossa trionferá!

The exhibition will open Friday, March 5 at 6PM (1509 West Main St., Richmond, VA),
and the lecture will be on Monday, March 8 at 4:30PM at the Grace Street Theater.
Servus, Freunde!

run-rabbit-run-2009

Above: El Conejo (Ol’ Knobby Knees), May Day, 1997. Photo: John Dixon.
VIVE le dessin graphique! El Conejo VIVE! ¡ABRAZOS a todos!

Hasenfuss Videography: Urbi et Orbi (2002), North Lincoln Hills by Way
of Ulan Bator, Mongolia
(2003, with Elisabeth Workman); and finally,
Kölner Klonnen Kollone (2003).

15 Responses to “El Conejo / VCU Objects + Methods Lecture”

Hey you rabbit Congrats!
Avanti popolo alla riscossa…..!!! :)

Susana Machicao added these words on Feb 19 10 at 12:07 PM

Hup! Hup! Ears tweaked to the new speak!

Dylan C. Lathrop added these words on Feb 19 10 at 12:22 PM

Abrazos to both of you! A thousand thanks! :-)

Erik Brandt added these words on Feb 19 10 at 12:25 PM

Congrats Erik–oh I wish i could be there!

Barbara Campbell Thomas added these words on Feb 19 10 at 12:40 PM

I just re-watched some of the bellefonte movies–made me miss you guys a lot.

Barbara Campbell Thomas added these words on Feb 19 10 at 12:41 PM

Hehehehe, what a great picture of an overjoyed rabbit, hopping in the street!

Marina Córdova Alvéstegui added these words on Feb 19 10 at 1:43 PM

Erik,
Congratulations to you! I hope someone records this.

kindra added these words on Feb 19 10 at 4:32 PM

El Conejo / VCU Objects + Methods Lecture: Rabbit lecture, workshop, and exhibition.

Above: Event poster by John … http://bit.ly/9adx7u

Erik Brandt added these words on Feb 19 10 at 4:59 PM

Thank you, everyone! This just in via Dylan, “Dead Fu•king Bunny,” a blog:

Erik Brandt added these words on Feb 19 10 at 6:27 PM

We wish we could watch the return of el conejo! alas desert, continent and ocean prevent- but we will be anxious to hear of the hopping – viel gluck M

janice brandt added these words on Feb 20 10 at 1:36 PM

El Brujo Conejo, eh?

This just in on that question!

Peter Fraterdeus added these words on Feb 20 10 at 2:07 PM

¡Gracias, Peter! =:-)

Erik Brandt added these words on Feb 20 10 at 2:11 PM

i wish i was there to hear some words of typo-method-wisdom :) best of luck,a and give us a brief report once you return

lejla added these words on Feb 25 10 at 4:42 AM

Many thanks, Lejla! I wish you could be there too, maybe we will film it. Not so sure about wisdom! I learned a good phrase from a friend in La Paz recently, something like: “Wisdom chases after us our whole life, but we are faster!”

Erik Brandt added these words on Feb 26 10 at 8:15 AM

Just noticed that John Malinoski’s poster made it onto ffffound: http://ffffound.com/image/316c626d29f2ae4fccf0c553298fb112f2e74275?c=5102519

Erik Brandt added these words on Jan 23 11 at 2:07 PM